Monday, April 29, 2013

Being Present is a Present

I took a yoga class tonight where the teacher had us start the class with a chocolate mediation. This is exactly what it sounds like. We had a piece of chocolate in our hand and had to be aware and mindful of it. How did the wrapper feel? How did the chocolate smell? How did the chocolate taste? Did the flavor linger in your mouth? It was about being present in your life. We often have a lot going on at once. Some things exciting, others stressful, but if we make sure to stop and smell the roses, make sure that we enjoy every minute and not always be looking forward to the future or dreading an impeding appointment, life will always be fulfilling. Okay, maybe not always, but usually.

This is very relevant to me right now. I am planning a wedding that I am so excited about, but once it is over, it's over. So I have been making sure to make everything I do for my wedding fun. I am taking advantage of all the tastings (wine, food, and most importantly, the cake), giving myself the full treatment (hair, nails, dress), and enjoying the time I get to spend with people along the way. That way my wedding won't be just about the day, but about the process, and of course, the best part is that I get to be with my best friend for the rest of our lives :)

On the other side of the spectrum, I am in school right now.  I have to miss out on important events because I either lack the time to go there or have to be cost conscious for our wedding, and worst of all, I have to study, yuck. I could look at it that way, or I could be present in the moment and realize that I get to live in a place with beautiful weather 95% of the time, I am meeting new people, I get to explore a new city without the hassle of flying, and I am learning new and interesting things everyday. In fact, this semester we get to dissect a cadaver. How cool is that? Well at least I find it fascinating. We purposefully tore a muscle and I got to suture it back up. Then I got to test how strong a freshly sown muscle really is. Eye opening, it is not very strong and can easily tear. Okay enough about cadavers. I think it is cool, but most people find it disgusting.

What are some wonderful things that are happening in your life right now?

I will leave you with some funny animal pictures.

                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment