Monday, January 16, 2012

My Philosophy

My philosophy is only do things that make you happy. Obviously there will be times in between those happy moments that are necessary to get things done or to make you appreciate the good times more, but seriously, why waste your time doing something you don't like. This applies to many things in my life, but here are a few that I have learned to appreciate recently.

1.) School: Yes it is hard and I whine and complain, but I enjoy the information and it makes me happy to realize that I am completing something that I know will make waking up and going to work fun and interesting.

2.) Exercise: This blog post was actually inspired because I took a fantastic yoga class today that made me feel wonderful. Now when I say exercise, I don't mean just any kind of exercise. If I am not into something, I am not going to do it. I love running, yoga, cycling and skiing. But sometimes I need a break from running and so I take a break. But after my yoga class tonight (handstands and all), I realized that yoga was missing in my life and how much I need it. I took the plunge and bought a membership. I may not be able to eat my In N' Out once a month and I will probably have to...gasp...cut down on my diet coke habit to pay for it, but I don't care. Yoga makes me more happy than my outing to In N Out once a month, so there.

Arm Balance at the summit of my hike...Now I call that a fun time!


3.) Eating: I love delicious food. Especially chocolate and ice cream (but surprisingly not chocolate ice cream). I try to eat healthy (well In N Out and Diet Coke don't sound very healthy, but usually I eat my veggies), but tasty eating is also important to me. So I am going to share a delicious, easy and healthy recipe that I acquired from a nutritionist:

Risotto with Garbanzo Beans
Here is the recipe

*Instant Risotto (but if you are on a low sodium diet, you can get plain risotto as well)
*Garbanzo beans
*Vegetables of your choice
        Broccoli
        Zucchini
        Mushrooms
        Squash
*Tofu (optional)

Simple preparation
*Heat up Risotto (follow instructions on the box)
*5 minutes before it is finished add beans and frozen broccoli

Done!

Slightly more complicated preparation
Sautee vegetables of your choice
I added zucchini, squash, mushrooms, kale, broccoli, tofu, and onions

Sautéing in the pan

Heat up Risotto(follow instructions on the box)


5 minutes before it is finished add beans and frozen broccoli


Enjoy

I love spicy food and I am in the school of thought that you can add sriracha to anything!


The meal makes enough for 3 to 4 people or 3 to 4 lunches or dinners for later in the week. And let me tell you...it is delicious. Plus the risotto and beans make the meal a complete protein.

What makes you happy?

1 comment:

  1. Love it Annie!

    I always say: "If it doesn't make you money or it doesn't make you happy, it's probably not worth doing."

    I have to remind myself of that whenever I think about doing something passive-aggressive or vindictive :)

    ReplyDelete